Apple Cider Vinegar for Health

apple cider vinegar health benefits

So, is Apple Cider Vinegar good for my health?

Have you tried this old fashioned remedy? Apple cider vinegar is claimed to help a wide range of health issues, anything from arthritis to gout to infection. For thousands of years apple cider vinegar has been used as a health remedy and in cooking, to fight infection, for indigestion and stomach pain.

In this blog post we discuss some of the science behind apple cider vinegar, alleged health benefits and the reason I drink this health tonic every day.

What is Apple Cider Vinegar?

Apple cider vinegar is made from crushed and fermented apples. Crushed apples are exposed to yeast which ferments sugar and produces alcohol. The alcohol is introduced to bacteria which produces acid, specifically acetic acid.

Now, as with most foods, the less processed the better for you. That's why you should try organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar which contains something know as 'the mother': beneficial strands of protein and bacteria that give organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar a cloudy appearance.

Did you know?  The use of vinegar to fight infections and other acute conditions actually dates back to the ancient Greek and Hippocrates (the father of modern medicine) in 460-377 BC. Hippocrates recommended a vinegar preparation for treating sores and cleaning ulcerations (1).

What does science tell us about apple cider vinegar?

There is evidence for some of the claims made about apple cider vinegar and its health benefits. I'm interested to hear what you think as well - please feel free to leave a comment at the end of this article.

Apple Cider Vinegar and Blood Sugar

Recent research (2) coming out of Arizona State University shows us apple cider vinegar may have an anti-glycemic effect on blood sugar. Specifically, the vinegar blocks digestion of some of the starch we digest, preventing it from being hydrolyzed into sugar thereby helping to control blood sugar levels. Note: this does not represent a diabetes treatment.

Apple Cider Vinegar and Digestion

Drink the cloudy version of apple cider vinegar containing ‘the mother’: unfiltered and with beneficial bacteria and probiotics. This vinegar may support immune function. The acid in apple cider, known as acetic acid, may increase absorption of minerals from food.

Apple Cider Vinegar and Weight Loss

A recent Japanese study (3) conducted on 175 overweight individuals concluded that those participants who included apple cider vinegar in their diet loss slightly more weight than those who didn't.

Vinegar and infections

A study (1) published in 2006 concluded that: "Scientific investigations do not support the use of vinegar as an anti-infective agent, either topically or orally."

TIP: don't drink it straight. It's a strong acid that can strip tooth enamel. Rather, mix 1 tbspn with water or juice.

My Own Experience

"I take 1-2 tablespoons per day in a glass of water or juice, usually in the mornings. I’ve always been told that apple cider vinegar is a great help in minimising joint pain and inflammation.

So, drink up!"

-Dr Paul Calladine (Chiropractor)

Please share this article

Do you like this article? Please feel free to share it with your friends and family. You can also reference this article by linking to this page or to www.chiropractordrummoyne.com.au.

About Dr Paul Calladine (Chiro) B.Sc.(Biol.), B.Sc.(Anat.), M.Chiro. (Gonstead Diplomate) and Lyons Road Family Chiropractic.

Lyons Road Family Chiro and Dr Paul (Chiro) have been serving the health care needs of Sydney's Inner West and Drummoyne communities for over two decades. Paul is originally from Canada and has obtained high levels of tertiary qualifications from both Canada and Australia. Paul is a wealth of information on all things natural, on fitness, long term health, nutrition and of course, chiropractic. Follow us on Facebook, Youtube, and Google+.

Related Articles

hot lemon water
why we must teach our kids about food
silica

References

1. Johnston CS, Gaas CA. Vinegar: Medicinal Uses and Antiglycemic Effect. Medscape General Medicine. 2006;8(2):61. Link.
  2. Web MD 'Apple Cider Vinegar and Health' Accessed December 2015. http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/apple-cider-vinegar-and-health?page=1
  3. Carol S. Johnston and Cindy A, 'Vinegar: medicinal uses and antiglycemic effect' MedGenMed. 2006; 8(2): 61. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/

Write a comment

Comments: 11
  • #1

Vivian (Sunday, 07 February 2021 22:15)

I was suffering from Herpes for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. If you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine,He also have herbs medicine to cure the different diseases. Email: https://robinbuckler. com......Robinsonbuckler11 [[@ gmail]] com................

• #2

Cao Rose (Friday, 08 October 2021 15:14)

All thanks to Dr Abiola for curing my herpes virus with him herbal medicine, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will forever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Abiola to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my life again after the medical doctor have confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS for 14 is gone. I never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS could be cured by herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease to know that all hope is not lost yet.
    My WhatsApp number+2348100609098
    drabiolasolutionhome@gmail.com

• #3

Anabel (Tuesday, 04 January 2022 15:16)

i was HIV positive and undetectable.I always thinking of it everyday and its killing me inside not able to continue and move forward.then the day i find Dr agbadu  Natural herbal medicine that helping millions of people around the world fight HIV ,autism, Herpes ,infertility,HPV, and chronic health conditions, including diabetes, certain stages of cancer, arthritis, and anxiety disorders through the help of Dr.agbadu. I can really witness this. done because I was cure from  incurable deadly diseases by using Dr agbadu herbal medicinal .visit Dr agbadu via email
    dragbadu@gmail.com

• #4

Paislee (Thursday, 17 March 2022 12:31)

I have been testing hpv positive for almost 6 years. My doctor always recommends pills which I have been taking, recently i decided not to take any pills because I'm young and I can't just start taking medicine at an early stage. lucky-ling i found strong herbalist doctor who cure every disease with natural treatments and i contacted him after some conversation with him he prepared hpv cure and sent to me after taking it for two weeks i went for test when the test came out my result was excellent I'm totally cured I'm so happy for it. I just can't keep this testimony. I decided to share it to others, especially those that tested hpv positive should contact this herbal doctor to get treatment. doctor agumba also cure lost of diseases as follows,
    fibroid,
    asthma,
    cold sore,
    hsv/warts,
    hiv/aids,
    impotence,
    hpv/genital wart,
    cervical cancer,
    bareness/infertility,
    https://www.facebook.com/Dr-Agumba-Galiga-Solutioncenter-102663515008377/ Whats-app +2349032173881 email; dragumbasolutioncenter@gmail.com

• #5

Marian (Thursday, 07 April 2022 11:36)

I have been suffering from (HSV 2) for 2 years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want to take drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr Agbadu, he"s the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptoms,I emailed dr Agbadu, for 2 weeks been his patient he cured my (HSV 2) with his herbal medicine. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks. It was 100% cured. I'm not a (HSV 2) patient anymore. I'm happy I finally got cured out of this mess that has been in my body for 2 years. I also recommend you if you're living with herpes virus I also want you to be free to contact Dr Agbadu with his email attached to my post. dragbadu@gmail.com or you can call or whats-app his cell phone number on +2349038986741

• #6

globaltravelsdoc (Thursday, 14 April 2022 15:55)

You've shared a terrific topic. Thanks for this wonderful sharing and want to know more detail so please continue. <a href="https://globaltravelsdoc.com/get-passports-online/">Get Passport any Passport from any Country</a> ,I will also take the advantage to ask for your permission to join our <a href="http://t.me/Globaltravelsdoc/">TELEGRAM GROUP</a>

• #7

jessica ana (Sunday, 24 April 2022 11:55)

Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr Aba has done for me and my family. I Was having HERPES for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. if you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email him below Dr.abaherbalherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp ;+2348107155060

• #8

mary robert (Sunday, 01 May 2022 13:12)

I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr Ogedegbe on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr Ogedegbe today on this Email address: dr.ogedegbe6@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on this Number +2348109374702  .... thanks to you dr Ogedegbe

• #9

reyes sandra (Thursday, 05 May 2022 14:57)

I am so happy, i never believe i will be this happy again in life, I was working as an air-hoster ( cabby crew ) for 3years but early this year, i loose my job because of this deadly disease called Herpes virus (HSV), I never felt sick or have any symptom, till all workers were ask to bring their doctor report, that was how i got tested and i found out that am HSV positive that make me loose my job, because it was consider as an STD and is incurable disease, i was so depress was thinking of committing suicide, till i explain to a friend of mine, who always said to me a problem share is a problem solved, that was how she directed me to Dr Aba, that was how i contacted him and get the medication from this doctor and i got cured for real, I just went back to my work and they also carry out the test to be real sure and i was negative. Please contact this doctor if you are herpes positive or any STD diseases his email is: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or you can call or whatsApp his mobile number on +2348107155060

• #10

Jane Smith (Friday, 13 May 2022 00:06)

I was told there is no Herpes Simplex Virus cure except treatment to control it. I totally lost hope, my life was embarrassing to have this Herpes Virus and the doctor said Herpes has no cure until I met Dr Kachi who helped me in my life. I have been infected with Herpes Virus since 2014, i went to many hospitals for a cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution that my body can be Okay, Until this faithful day as I was browsing on internet I saw testimony on how Dr Kachi helped people in curing Herpes Disease, quickly I copied his Email and ordered his herbal treatment, behold Before 2weeks i noticed the blisters were gone, I got 100% cured. Now I'm so excited to share this testimony to every article living with Herpes Virus there is possible natural treatment to eliminate this virus Email: drkachispellcast@gmail.com or WhatsApp number: +1 (570) 775-3362 Dr Kachi website: https://drkachispellcast.wixsite.com/my-site

• #11

AREL KANE (Friday, 20 May 2022 05:48)

Dr Ishiaku herbal medicine is mighty and genuine, I used Melissa oil and Lavender Healing herbs but result were just still the same but using Dr Ishiaku herbs cured my herpes final and I have being living for 2 years now No Sores. My herpes is truly gone.
    Contact him if you interested of his herbal medicine…
    he can also cure HSV2,HPV,HIV, DIABETICS and other chronic illness
    You contact him on
    Whats-app +2348180828544 or email ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com
    GOOD-LUCK