By Dr. Paul Calladine (Chiro)
The statistics are alarming: Australia is in the midst of an opioid epidemic and the majority of these drugs are legal. Over the last few months there has been a steadily increasing call to raise awareness of this issue.
Medical authorities have labelled it an 'epidemic' and the statistics are startling. Earlier this year, the Penington Institute released Australia’s Annual Overdose Report – 2016 (Based on data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics). You can read a summary of this report and further research on the subject in the infographic below.
If you find this issue alarming, please help to raise awareness by sharing this page or the infographic.
Do you like this infographic?
Do you like this infographic? Please feel free to share it with your friends and family and use on your own website. Simply reference this page or www.chiropractordrummoyne.com.au to use.
Take Action Today
If you want to learn more about spinal health or to book a chiropractic check up, please contact Lyons Road Family Chiro today on (02) 9819 6182.
About Dr Paul Calladine B.Sc.(Biol.), B.Sc.(Anat.), M.Chiro. (Gonstead Diplomate) and Lyons Road Family Chiropractic.
Lyons Road Family Chiro and Dr Paul (Chiro) have been serving the health care needs of Sydney's Inner West and Drummoyne communities for over 26 years. Paul is originally from Canada and has obtained high levels of tertiary qualifications from both Canada and Australia. Paul is a wealth of information on all things natural, on fitness, long term health, nutrition and of course, chiropractic.
You might also like
- Harrison CM, Charles J, Henderson J, et al. Opioid prescribing in Australian general practice. Med J Aust 2012;196:380–1.
- http://www.penington.org.au/overdoseday/ Penington Institute Australia’s Annual Overdose Report – 2016. Based on data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
- Rubinstein SM, van Middelkoop M, Assendelft WJJ, de Boer MR, van Tulder MW. Spinal manipulative therapy for chronic low-back pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD008112.
- Chou R, Qaseem A, Snow V, Casey D, Cross JT, Shekelle P, et al. Diagnosis and Treatment of Low Back Pain: A Joint Clinical Practice Guideline from the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:478-491.
- UK BEAM Trial Team. United Kingdom back pain exercise and manipulation (UK BEAM) randomised trial: effectiveness of physical treatments for back pain in primary care. BMJ. 2004 Dec 11;329(7479):1377. Epub 2004 Nov 19.
- Richard A Deyo, Michael Von Korff, David Duhrkoop. Opioids for low back pain. BMJ 2015;350:g6380.
- Jeffrey Freund, PharmD Connie Kraus, PharmD Christopher Hooper-Lane, MA. How effective are opioids for chronic low back pain? J Fam Pract. 2015 September;64(9):584-585.
- Roelofs PDDM, Deyo RA, Koes BW, Scholten RJPM, van Tulder MW. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for low back pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD000396.